Tuesday, February 6, 2007

にほんごはむずかしい(difficult)ですか?

Is Japanese a challenging language? Well, it depends on what language you speak. I noticed that some of you are struggling with Japanese grammar or hiragana. Also Cheng-san asked me how long it will take until he can understand Japanese dramas... Here is the fact:

http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/months/november/learningExpectations.html

にほんごはLevel3です。You may notice that all European languages are categorized in either level 1 or 2, not level 3. So, if you are a native speaker of English or European languages, Japanese is probably the most challenging language. Now you might be overwhelmed or discouraged, but please do not! That's why I am here to help you. We have a great classmates, too.... . Imagine when you go to Japan and communicate with people there.... Think about watching Japanese TV and laughing.... Only you can make it happen!

By the way, do you know what language is the most challenging for native speakers of Japanese? I heard that Russian is the most challening.

3 comments:

Avram said...

Haha, thanks for your comments on my blog, Sato-sensei! The translation software must be very poor, but I'm glad you were able to nonetheless understand...

Cheng said...

ありがとうございます,さとう先生 for answer my question. Hopefully I can learn more and more vocab. I don't know about the のだめ。I might watch 華麗なる一族 when I have time. Last summer I watched White Tower (the one about two doctors in a hospital) which I really like.

Dos said...

I agree that Russian language is one of the hardest languages to learn Sato-sensei.
Talking of Japanese, for me the hardest task is memorizing Hiragana. Don't know of Kanji yet :) . Japanese grammar in many aspects, for example, sentence structure, is similar to Kazak language.